Cykl Macht

Moderatorzy: Nightchill, Dhuaine, Andrzej Miszkurka, Kalriem

Cykl Macht

Postautor: Youkai » 23 sierpnia 2007, 23:46 - czw

Paul jeszcze dobrze nie zdążył ukończyć 'Sea Beggars', a już bierze się za nowy cykl, tym razem jest to 'The Ten Thousand'. Dla zainteresowanych jego twórczością cała zamieszczona informacja:

Paul Kearney pisze:The contract has been signed, so it's all above board and certified now. I have been contracted to write a new novel for Solaris Books, to be published in the summer of 2008, simultaneously with a new one-volume revised edition of the Monarchies of God. The new story is entitled The Ten Thousand, and is set in an entirely new world. It's based around Xenophon's Anabasis, and is about the travails of an army of mercenaries stranded in the midst of a hostile empire. To give you some idea of its flavour, here's a rough (and entirely not set in stone) synopsis...

The Ten Thousand

These, in the day when heaven was falling,
The hour when earth’s foundations fled,
Followed their mercenary calling
And took their wages and are dead.

Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
They stood, and earth’s foundations stay;
What God abandoned, these defended,
And saved the sum of things for pay.

A E Houseman

No-one knows from whence the Macht came, what manner of place gave them birth. Indeed, in this age of the world, only the very learned know that they did not come from here at all. They came from Outside, so far back before the dawn of recorded history that it is almost forgotten. Our legends make of them monsters, who crawled out of the bowels of the earth with their black, cursed armour already fastened to their backs. Or they fell from heaven trailing wakes of light and flame. We do know, from the earliest fragments of stone-carved writings left by our ancestors, that in the beginning they were very few.
Despite this, they aimed at nothing less than the conquest of the entire world.

This is the story of a world with a conundrum at its heart. The world is called Kuf, the sound a man makes when exhaling sharply. This is because the world and all it contains was created by the breath of God, in an instant. Because Kuf came from God, it is the very embodiment of Truth, as fire is the incarnation of energy. Outside the world are the dark, and the cold, which God did not create, but which are eternal also. They belong to the Lie. So do all the teeming peoples of Kuf believe.
The Macht came from Outside, and so they are people of the Lie.

For generations, the Macht multiplied, and colonised, and bred their strange beasts in numbers uncountable. Sometimes we had peace with them, sometimes there was war. But when war came, the Macht always prevailed. They spread over the surface of the world like a rash corrupting clear skin.
At long last there was one who had the wit, the guile and the courage to make a stand against them. This was Asur, King of the Middle Lands about the Magron Mountains. After years of cajoling, threatening and bribing the thousand kingdoms of the interior, he forged them into a mighty alliance, and was given command of a sea of troops. He led this vast army against the Macht, and so great was it that even their skill at arms and their savagery could not overcome it. Somewhere north of the Haneikos River, Asur defeated the Macht in a titanic battle which legend has it raged for a year and a day. The Macht fled into the mountains, a broken remnant, and there they were allowed to fester, in the high passes of the Harukush; for no-one wished to follow them. They took this mountain fastness as their own, and remained there, whilst Asur and his armies took possession of their cities and their fields and their herds, and shared them out among the victorious kings and captains of the host.

Kuf is a bright, brash, jewel of a world, swarming with all manner of races and peoples. There are mountain ranges which have not yet been crossed, deserts deemed impenetrable, steaming jungles, and great rivers which carry the commerce of barbaric tribes and civilized nation-states. And at its centre is the Empire created by the warrior-king Asur. His line has ruled unbroken from misty antiquity, and now the Assurian Empire is the greatest power on earth, its authority unquestioned, its prestige immense, its armies invincible.
But now, this ancient colossus is about to be shaken to its foundations.

Centuries of the sun came and went. The beasts of the Macht multiplied in the hands of their new owners until it was forgotten that they had not begun life on this world. Pasang by pasang, the Empire grew to cover the fairest part of the earth and the greatest portion of its peoples. The line of Asur continued through the ages, and at Hamadan his descendants ruled as Great King, King of Kings, lord of the Middle Kingdoms and the Sea Peoples and the Folk of the Plains. Even the Panjari of the East made obeisance to the throne of Asur. And there was peace, some say for a thousand years.
But in the nineteenth year of the reign of Asurbanidar, at the end of the Age of Bronze, at long last the Macht came forth again from the Harukush. Not as conquerors this time. They came in small groups and singly, and set about the world as peaceful traders, as hunters, and merchants. They left off their cursed armour, and in the garments of humble and civilized folk they plied the great roads of the empire as ordinary citizens. This, Asurbanidar permitted to them, so long as they lifted no weapon and wore no harness of war. And so, as more time passed, the Macht were tolerated, even welcomed, in all the provinces of the Empire and beyond. Their dark past they put behind them, and they proved adept at the fashioning of stone and marble, the building of ships - even the writing of plays.
But they could not quite escape the legends. As was inevitable perhaps, some rulers sought out the Macht to recruit as soldiers, and drew up contracts with them to serve on the frontiers, or in the palaces, or as generals of picked companies. And so it was that many among the Macht put on their black armour again to fight for pay and booty in the service of others.

They became the most feared and sought-after mercenaries in the world.
'You're gonna carry that weight'
'All that you achieve shall turn to dust in your hands'

Nikt nie mówił, że życie usłane jest różami.
Awatar użytkownika
Youkai
Cthulhu

Postautor: ASX76 » 23 sierpnia 2007, 23:46 - czw

Jak znam życie ( :wink: ) zaraz ruszy lawina pytań do pana Andrzeja z rodzaju: a kiedy to wydacie :?: :P
Awatar użytkownika
ASX76
Samuraj Jack

Postautor: Youkai » 23 sierpnia 2007, 23:46 - czw

Nie no, poczekamy aż pierwszy tom wyjdzie ;). Chyba...:D

Awatar użytkownika
Youkai
Cthulhu

Postautor: Tigana » 25 sierpnia 2007, 23:46 - sob

ASX76 pisze:Jak znam życie ( :wink: ) zaraz ruszy lawina pytań do pana Andrzeja z rodzaju: a kiedy to wydacie :?: :P

Powolutki, najpierw "Morscy żebracy" , potem pożyjemy zobaczymy.
Obrazek
Awatar użytkownika
Tigana
Samuraj Jack

Postautor: Kalriem » 25 sierpnia 2007, 23:46 - sob

Zapowiada się ciekawie. Ale znając życie i MAGa to pewnie na tą książkę Kearney'a trzeba będzie czekać do 2012 roku ;)
Awatar użytkownika
Kalriem

Postautor: Himura » 11 września 2007, 23:46 - wt

Najważniejsze, że początkiem 2009 polska wersja The Sea Beggars, a później to może i następna seria (Himura się rozmarzył :wink: )
Awatar użytkownika
Himura
Tom Bombadil

Postautor: Adam1 » 12 września 2007, 23:46 - śr

Ja też mam nadzieję, im szybciej tym lepiej.

A poza tym po serii Sea Beggars może nie MAG Kearneya będzie wydawał? Kto wie kto wtedy będzie miał do Kearneya prawa? :)

I nie złośliwie to piszę bo przecież np. do Feista prawa najpierw miał Zysk a teraz ma ISA. :)
Love is the difficult realization that something other than oneself is real.

Iris Murdoch (1919–1999), Irish-born British novelist.
Chicago Review "The Sublime and the Good" (1959).
Awatar użytkownika
Adam1
Wielki AQ

Postautor: Himura » 09 października 2007, 23:46 - wt

ASX76 pisze:Jak znam życie ( :wink: ) zaraz ruszy lawina pytań do pana Andrzeja z rodzaju: a kiedy to wydacie :?: :P

Po poznaniu większej ilości informacji faktycznie zapytam:
Panie Andrzeju może ta pozycja przed "The Sea Beggars"?
Jest ku temu konkretny argument - będzie to tzw. stand alone (na 100% - PK sam tak stwierdził).
“It has always seemed to me that my existence consisted purely and exclusively of nothing but the most outrageous nonsense.”
Awatar użytkownika
Himura
Tom Bombadil

Postautor: Youkai » 23 października 2007, 23:46 - wt

Himura, nie szykujesz czasem jakiejś kampanii na przyszły rok w sprawie nowego Kearneya?

Awatar użytkownika
Youkai
Cthulhu

Postautor: Himura » 23 października 2007, 23:46 - wt

A jak Ci się wydaje, bracie? :)
“It has always seemed to me that my existence consisted purely and exclusively of nothing but the most outrageous nonsense.”
Awatar użytkownika
Himura
Tom Bombadil

Postautor: Himura » 24 października 2007, 23:46 - śr

Tak pomyślałem, może by na początek jakąś małą petycję?
Co wy na to?
Ilu chętnych?
Awatar użytkownika
Himura
Tom Bombadil

Postautor: Youkai » 24 października 2007, 23:46 - śr

Himura pisze:A jak Ci się wydaje, bracie?

Można się było domyślić :D.
Jakby co to się piszę i podpisuję i co tam trzeba. Nawet skłonny jestem transparenty wywiesić naprzeciwko Wydawnictwa :D. Byleby żadnej głodówki nie było ;).

Awatar użytkownika
Youkai
Cthulhu

Postautor: Himura » 25 października 2007, 23:46 - czw

Zbyt lubię jeść, żebym się posunął do głodówki. :wink:
Ale wszelkie inne środki "perswazji" rozważyć można.
Awatar użytkownika
Himura
Tom Bombadil

Postautor: Himura » 25 listopada 2007, 23:46 - ndz

Pojawiła się okładka"
Obrazek

Panie Andrzeju kiedy u nas? :twisted:
Awatar użytkownika
Himura
Tom Bombadil

Postautor: Andrzej Miszkurka » 25 listopada 2007, 23:46 - ndz

Himura pisze:Pojawiła się okładka"
Obrazek

Panie Andrzeju kiedy u nas? :twisted:

Zaczyna się :wink: .
Andrzej Miszkurka
Redaktor

Następna

Wróć do Paul Kearney